How do you use Benzoyl Peroxide products to gain the most benefit?
1. Because it can be hard to the skin (causing redness and dryness), you have to know how best to use products that contain this ingredient. Find the product that works with your skin. There are a lot of different products that contain benzoyl peroxide: like “spot treatments”, face washes, and masks. Choose one to try – don’t buy a whole medicine cabinet full of products.
2. You may have used it before and have not found it effective – this can be because you either used it every now and then instead of on a more consistent basis or you found it too drying. You should always start with the lowest dose available – usually 2.5%. See how this works first before you go to the 10% solutions. Use it every second day anywhere you usually have acne issues.
3. Work up to using it once per day without any redness or dryness issues. Then, move to 2 times a day.
4. If your skin responds well to an application of 2 times a day at the 2.5% level, stay there – there’s no need to move up to the higher concentrations. If you have really oily skin, you can try the 5% solution. Most people don’t need to try the 10%. Stop use all together if you have any signs of a true allergy to it: burning, itching, swelling, etc. Then, talk with your doctor.
5. Maintain your fundamental skin care habit: wash your face twice a day, exfoliate, moisturize, if needed. Next, have beautiful skin!!